Information on preparing Innovation Submissions for 2022 Conference
Nominations MUST now be received by COB on Friday 4 June 2022 to be considered. (extended closing date)
Click on the link below to access the PDF outlining the Submission process for the Innovation Awards.
Call for Innovation Award Submissions PDF
Innovation Award Submission Form PDF
An invitation is extended to all Australian resources employees, companies, sites, contractors (minerals, coal, quarries, exploration, oil and energy) associated with the Queensland resources industry.
The aim of the Innovation Awards, which are part of this Conference, is to recognise creative and practical solutions to health and safety and to promote their application across the Queensland Resources Industry.
For the purpose of these Awards ‘innovation’ is broadly defined as either a new initiative or an original solution to a specific safety and occupational health problem and must not include products for commercial sale or seeking opportunities for production and commercial sale.
There are two rounds of judging. Firstly, the Preliminary Judging Round when all submissions are assessed by a Judging Panel comprising selected representatives across industry sectors. They will select a short list of five finalists to go forward to the next round.
The Final Judging Round will be carried out at the Conference where each of the five finalists agrees to present for up to 10 minutes on their Innovation to Conference delegates and a Judging Panel. The Panel may ask questions on each Innovation following the presentation.
• Winner – as judged by the Judging Panel at the Conference
• People’s Choice – as judged by the Conference delegates
• Highly Commended – combined vote count of the Judging Panel and the Conference delegate
The Winner of the Innovation Award Submission will have the opportunity to nominate one person associated with the development of the Innovation to attend the A+A Trade Exhibition in Dusseldorf in November 2021 as a guest of our sponsor uvex Safety ANZ. More on this exclusive prize will be announced early in the New Year.
The winner will also receive a Queensland Mining Industry Health and Safety Innovation Award Trophy and a framed Certificate.
The People’s Choice and Highly Commended Submissions will receive a Queensland Mining Industry Innovation Award Trophy and a framed Certificate.
The presentation of Awards will be held at the Conference Dinner on Wednesday 25 August 2021. All participants are encouraged to attend the Awards presentation to promote the application of the Innovations across the industry.
The presentation of the Awards will be made at the Conference Dinner.
Innovation Winners and Finalists for 2019
- OVERALL WINNER: Synthetic Light Weight Couplings, BMA – Saraji Mine
- HIGHLY COMMENDED: Real-time Bund Monitoring, Anglo American – Capcoal Open Cut
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: Broadmeadow Proximity Detection System, BMA Broadmeadow Mine
- Nitrogen Foam Table, Queensland Mines Rescue Service
- Blind Intersection Warning LED Indication, Anglo American Moranbah North Mine
- Diamond Wire Saw Mobile Unit, Anglo American Moranbah North Mine
- Broadmeadow Battery Electric Vehicle for UG Coal, BMA Broadmeadow Mine
- Proactive Floor Fracturing Using UIS Drilling, Anglo American – Grosvenor Mine
- Water Treatment Plant Inlet Screen Blower, Rio Tinto Aluminium – Weipa Operations
- Use of Laser Scanners in an Underground Coal Mine for Strata Monitoring, Drift Convergence & Incident Investigations, Anglo American – Grosvenor Mine
- Broadmeadow Proximity Detection System, BMA Broadmeadow Mine
- Synthetic Light Weight Couplings, BMA Saraji Mine
- Real-time Bund Monitoring, Anglo American – Capcoal Open Cut